Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I get a rescue dog?

It will take some time to bond with the dog, but it will be well worth it. Believe me, having a dog in your life is awesome! Especially if you take good care of it. So my answer to your question is yes, you should get it.

I have one rescue dog myself. She's a pure breed mutt :P. And trust me it's a great idea, the feeling you get when you see how these dogs transform, and it's all because of you it's amazing. No words can describe it. I'm romantic, but I really think that they know that you rescued them.

As for the problem, about training I strongly believe that you can train an older dog new tricks and make him forget old ones.

My dream, is if I ever manage to get myself a big piece of land to go to shelters and what not and adopt the worst cases and provide for them everything they missed.

I'm fostering a dobie and am considering adopting him. He's a very sweet dog and gets along well with my other pets, especially the dog. He does have some emotional baggage but he has responded well to his new environment.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlou View Post
    I'm looking for a new addition to the family, and I'm very open to the idea of a rescue dog. I think it's important to give such dogs extra care, especially if they've been abused in the past.

My main concern is that they may have problems that a dog I could train from a puppy wouldn't. How much of a problem do you think this would be? I'm more than willing to give a rescue dog all the time and attention it needs, I just want to know what I'm letting myself in for!
    Rescuing a dog could be one of the best and most enriching decisions you can ever make in your life, believe me. Dogs are incredible creatures capable to feel and offer an unconditional love. They're also extremely grateful, so if you do that for a dog, they will surely thank you for that!

As for your concerns... don't worry, most adult dogs have been potty-trained! And even if they are not, potty-training them is easier than when you try it with a puppy.

While my doberman isn't a rescue dog my family did adopt 2 dogs from shelters when I was younger and we didn't find them difficult to train at all as they were so eager to please, after being mistreated by their past owners. If you're patient and have lots of love to give a rescue dog then I'd highly recommend the experience.

Before adopting a rescue dog it's important to understand that most of these dogs have been removed from terrible living conditions. They have often been abused, neglected or otherwise mistreated. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been removed from their homes. Most of these dogs do well in a new home where they are loved and treated well, but understand that some of these dogs can have some behavioral and physical challenges since they weren't properly trained and socialized when they were younger. They often present their owners with a number of challenges that have to be overcome through patience and perserverance and some owners may not be up to the challenge due to time constraints or other obligations. Be sure that you have the ability to devote the time and energy it takes to rehab a rescue dog before you take one on.

A guard dog is fine for your family plus, it's a great fact that when you own dogs and the bacteria they cause for your children are great and increases their immune system. As you see that children who are at farms are more likely to resist a lot of diseases because they have been immune to these bacterias

If you rescue an adult dog you can avoid all the hassle puppies present...sometimes. It depends on the age of the dog and the hardships its had to overcome in order to get to you. You may still have potty training issues, he might still chew up the garbage. He may be fear aggressive or have no training. Adoptive dogs take a lot of patience and persistence to get them into the condition that they should have been in all along. It's a very rewarding experience, but it can be trying at times. Of course, you may also get that perfect gem that never gives you a minute of trouble.

Default Worth It!

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlou View Post
    I'm looking for a new addition to the family, and I'm very open to the idea of a rescue dog. I think it's important to give such dogs extra care, especially if they've been abused in the past.

My main concern is that they may have problems that a dog I could train from a puppy wouldn't. How much of a problem do you think this would be? I'm more than willing to give a rescue dog all the time and attention it needs, I just want to know what I'm letting myself in for!
    Rescue dogs are the most wonderful dog you will ever own. I have owned many rescue dogs and all of them are the most memorable in my life. The most recent one I had became a pet therapy dog. We were very close and helped as many people as we could together. He was such a sweetheart. You are right that there can be some "baggage" with a rescue dog, especially if they are out of puppy stage. Many grow out of their quirks with patience and tenderness. It's like gaining their trust and once you've proven you will love them and not hurt them, they most often will be the most loyal dog you will ever own.

Smeredith

Some rescue dogs are great with families and very social because they were recently abandoned by families that moved.
    The shelter staff can tell you which of their dogs are friendly and obedient and which ones were abused and need extra attention.
    Some very sweet dogs end up in shelters just because their guardians died.
    You shouldn't assume that all shelter dogs are abuse survivors with behavior problems. Family dogs end up in shelters every day.