Thread: A Tribute to Atom

Default A Tribute to Atom

When I was 16, I applied for and got a job off the bulletin board at my high school. The job was working as a kennel boy at a veterinary practice in Salem, MA and shared space with an animal shelter downstairs.

A beautiful but scared dobie had been kicked out of his car (they think) on Rte. 95 and had been brought in for care and hopefully adoption. Based on the fact he was nervous and a Doberman, he was never adopted and was going to be euthanized.

I was told by everyone there not to interact or clean his cage. The staff would do it, and they did vigilantly. One day however, as I was cleaning up and the staff went home, I opened the cage and walked away going about my business.

When he finally came out, he came up to me as I was doing a wash. I ignored him and just kept doing what I was doing. Wherever I went he followed at a distance but followed. I threw him a treat and put some water on the floor. The rest is history.

We became fast friends and I came to the clinic even when I wasn't scheduled to walk and play with who I called Atom. After some convincing, and a lot of begging, my parents let us adopt him and he was indeed a loyal and loving companion to my entire family. We had a shih tzu, and 9 tropical birds at the time including a huge Blue and Gold Macaw...not to mention huge fish tanks filled with everything from Oscars to Piranha. He stood as guard and friend to all.

I got the call at college my sophomore year at college that Atom had passed and still to this day see his face as we first formed our friendship. He, like all dobies want to make you happy and be a friend. They want to play and protect.

Thank you to this wonderful forum for reaching out to dobie lovers everywhere, dispel the myths and hold this awesome breed in the light they deserve.

That was such a beautiful and touching story, Fitzy Thanks a lot for sharing it with us! I'm glad this dobie had a second chance with your family, when I first started reading your story, I felt a bit afraid. I was a bit afraid your story would end with something like: ''Atom was euthanized after a few weeks, because no one would adopt him''.

It was really nice to read that you actually convinced your parents to adopt that dog I must admit there are so many myths surrounding this breed. My mother is really scared of dobies. She used to tell me she didn't like them because, she heard somewhere that the dobies had a hard time recognizing their owners at night! How silly is that! To this day she still believes that!

Fitzy, your story of Atom really reminds me of my story of rescuing Bruno. Like, Atom, he was scheduled for death, through no doing of his own. He had been trained to be a guard dog, and was bought to guard the mill from any marauding workers when they were on strike.
    Since he had never been any kind of a family dog, the mill decided to just put him to sleep once the strike was settled, rather than take a chance on him attacking someone.
    However, one of the workers talked them into giving Bruno to him, but then he kept him outside , tied on a long chain, and no dog house.
    Bruno was skin and bones when I took him home.
    I had no idea if he would be safe to be around, but like your Atom, the bond was strong and sure between us, and he actually loved people when he wasn't on guard duty .

HFL....I love that story! You should write a children's book about Bruno! The imagery of him being brought in as a guard dog during union riots and then to an abusive owner and finally to a loving home is the stuff of great books and movies!

That is a moving story. You did exactly the right thing and were rewarded with the best of all possible prizes for it.

What a nice story. I find it amazing how heart warming and heart wrenching pet stories can be. We are so lucky to be able to share our lives with our pets but the time with them is just too short. I found the Rainbow Bridge poem when my dog of 11 years passed away. I thought I would never be able to find that kind of love again and I honestly didn't go looking for it. I did find that love again, or I should say, it found me. One day a little dog wandered onto my property all dirty, hungry, and exhausted. Six years later she is still by my side and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Your story brought tears to my eyes. He was a beautiful soul and I am glad that you and Atom found each other. I fully believe that there is a dog out there for everyone and that sometimes we just have to wait until we find the right one. Sometimes we are fortunate enough to recognize them, but more often, they choose us, just like Atom chose you. So sorry to hear that he has passed, but the memory of him will be with you forever.