Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Docking and Cropping

Default Docking and Cropping

I notice nowadays, many Dobies are left uncropped and undocked. The tide has swung on this practice with many vets even refusing to alter the appearance of tails and ears on Dobies.

My dog Atom had been altered by his previous owners, but this was back when just about every Dobie you saw was altered.

What is the consensus these days on the practice? Can you actually "show" an unaltered dobie?

I have to admit, I love the look, but if not for an actual medical reason, I would not alter my next one. I don't plan on showing any dogs so there for me is no reason to put a dog through it.

Any thoughts?

I always say yes to cropping tails and getting rid of dewclaws. Both will just cause the dog problems in the future. The tail becomes a table clearer. I have one doberman with dewclaws that are always getting caught. His uncropped tail makes him accidentally whip people. I have a biased to undocked ears. I think that they just look so much cuter with their ears undocked, but that is just me. Like you said, if you aren't showing them, why even bother.

I prefer them all natural, and think the ears in particular look much better uncropped.

Hmmm, I agree with the poster above in that all natural dogs are the nicest looking! The dewclaws though I do believe should be removed, as they can sometimes cause problems for the dogs.

By reading around, the cropping and docking were functional for their original purpose as guardians. And also reports on accidents that can cause bruising, hematomas, fractures of the vertebra. Which to be honest I think it's the same with every other breed.

I'm looking to get a puppy, and I prefer them to look how they are supposed to look, plus they look cuter.

I got mine cropped and the tail cut and he looks nice with his brown coat.

I prefer to leave my boy all natural. I know that he would look adorable cropped and docked but I feel like it should be his choice. Of course, since he doesn't know there even is a choice he doesn't ask for it. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottf14 View Post
    I prefer to leave my boy all natural. I know that he would look adorable cropped and docked but I feel like it should be his choice. Of course, since he doesn't know there even is a choice he doesn't ask for it. lol.
    I agree with this. Leaving it all natural looks better to me than a cropped one.

I personally like the altered version, but it must be done by a really professional person, otherwise the result won't be too good. I like the idea of cropping the ears, but not so much the idea of docking the tail. I think the latter isn't very natural at all and has no reason to be.

I owned a miniaure schnauzer with cropped ears and docked tail... everytime I saw that dog's tail moving I felt like I was watching a mutilated dog.

I don't really have an opinion about it either way. A lot of people believe that docking and cropping are cruel procedures, but I used to work in a veterinary hospital that performed the procedures and I will tell you that the procedure really isn't all that bad. The dogs are put under general anesthesia for the ear crop...not the tail dock, but the tail dock happens when the pups are only a few days old, before the nerve endings are completely formed. It does hurt them, but only for a few minutes....not like with an adult dog.

The biggest issue is owner care afterwards. The ears often get infected and the owners rarely follow through with the intensive process of getting them to stand. I like the look and have had my own dogs done before.