Thread: What do you need to look for in a breeder?

Default What do you need to look for in a breeder?

What qualities do you need to look for in a breeder? What are some danger/warning signs that I need to watch for? I have never dealt with a breeder before, so I'm going into this blind. I know some of the things that I am looking for in the personality of my dog, but I want to insure that he comes from a good environment.

First of all, you got to make sure that the breeder has clean surroundings. We have to make sure that the dog we are buying is clean. We also have to make sure that he lets his dog visit the vets frequently. We don't want to get a pup who is sickly. And lastly, a breeder should also have values. More or less, he will teach his values to his dogs.

You need to see a breeder's facilities. You want a breeder who enjoys their dogs. That tend to their needs...this includes social time. Breeders who are in it just to make a buck don't spend any quality time with their dogs and you can tell when you approach the puppies whether or not they are excited to see you or if they are standoffish. The puppies should be clean, proper weight and size and should be excited to see you. You should also be able to see the parents onsite and see how they respond to the breeder. If they seem happy, healthy and like hanging around, then you have probably found a good one.