Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums

Go Back   Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums > Doberman Specific Chat > Doberman Related Chat

Old 12-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Trellum

Default Why do you think Dobies have such a bad reputation?

This is something I've been wanting to discuss with other dobie lovers! I just wonder why dobies have such a bad reputation? I mean, their reputation isn't as damaged as the pit bull one, but still.

I'm not saying pit bulls are all aggressive, but I often read about people being attacked by them, so I understand that contributes a lot to their bad reputation.

But this also makes me wonder... why the doberman dogs have a bad rep as well? I haven't really read any articles or even seen anything related to dobie attacks on the news! NOTHING! So why do you think dobies have such a bad reputation then? I just can't get it.
Trellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
chogs29

I am not a Doberman owner myself. But, I do share the same sentiments. This is actually my dilemma, if i'll be buying one. You're actually correct. I have not read or heard a new about a Doberman attacking anyone yet. Well, I guess this is due to the misconception that we associated Dobermans with.

On the movies, Dobermans are perceived to be a ruthless dog, who salivate rigorously and is waiting to attack a person. When they do, they can kill you. This things help build the bad impression about a Doberman.
chogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
novasparker

The issue with Dobermans is that they are a large breed dog that is very trainable and can be trained to be aggressive. This is not a naturally aggressive breed, but many are very outgoing and have a natural protective instinct that can easily be exploited to create a dog that can bite. Also, when they were making headlines like Pit Bulls do now, they were a very popular breed and a lot of indiscriminate breeding was happening, which created a lot of dogs that had undesirable traits, including some aggressive tendencies. The good news is that these dogs are the exception rather than the rule and in general, Dobermans are incredibly sweet dogs that make great family pets.
novasparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
Denis Hard

I think just like the Rottweiler which is believed to be one of the most ferocious dogs, the Doberman is also naturally aggressive and must be trained out of that and the media hasn't done much to correct that negative image associated with them. Until the attitudes change, I think most people will go along with the popular belief that the Doberman can't be trusted around loved ones at home.
Denis Hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Trellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasparker View Post
The issue with Dobermans is that they are a large breed dog that is very trainable and can be trained to be aggressive. This is not a naturally aggressive breed, but many are very outgoing and have a natural protective instinct that can easily be exploited to create a dog that can bite. Also, when they were making headlines like Pit Bulls do now, they were a very popular breed and a lot of indiscriminate breeding was happening, which created a lot of dogs that had undesirable traits, including some aggressive tendencies. The good news is that these dogs are the exception rather than the rule and in general, Dobermans are incredibly sweet dogs that make great family pets.
Thanks for clearing that out I think you are right! It must be because the size, and those positive traits that can be manipulated to look like something else to the eye of the unexperienced dog owner. I didn't know there was a lot of indiscriminate breeding of the doberman in the past. I hope those aggressive lines are extinct for good!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Trellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by chogs29 View Post
I am not a Doberman owner myself. But, I do share the same sentiments. This is actually my dilemma, if i'll be buying one. You're actually correct. I have not read or heard a new about a Doberman attacking anyone yet. Well, I guess this is due to the misconception that we associated Dobermans with.

On the movies, Dobermans are perceived to be a ruthless dog, who salivate rigorously and is waiting to attack a person. When they do, they can kill you. This things help build the bad impression about a Doberman.
Yeah, I also think the media play a huge role in this. Sadly dobermans are portrayed as really feracious dogs and are always the villians... I wonder how this started?! Maybe someone in the film industry had the brilliant idea suddenly of using dobies as the villians.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:24 AM   #7
Nicole87

It might be because of the black dog syndrome. In movies black dogs are often portrayed as aggressive dogs. Also, let's face it, Dobermans are freakishly big. If we put together the size and the black color, we have a dog that will not look friendly at all.

I have to add, though, that these kind of misconceptions are only held by people who don't really know much about dogs, and from my own personal experience, I can say that it's the small breed dogs that are more likely to be aggressive than the large breed dogs.
Nicole87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
Trellum

Yeah, I have a theory on why small dogs are more likely to be more aggressive that bigger dogs. I basically think small dogs are very aware they are at disadvantage because of their size and that makes them feel insecure and tend to be more reserved with strangers. Until they can know for sure what their intentions are. That's why some of them tend to attack; they feel threatened.

While big dogs... well, they are more confident and know they can handle a stranger's attack. I think the dog's security can be reflected in their good behavior.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
Trellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Hard View Post
I think just like the Rottweiler which is believed to be one of the most ferocious dogs, the Doberman is also naturally aggressive and must be trained out of that and the media hasn't done much to correct that negative image associated with them. Until the attitudes change, I think most people will go along with the popular belief that the Doberman can't be trusted around loved ones at home.
You think the doberman is aggressive by nature? I don't think I agree with that, I mean, to me no dog is aggressive, unless he wasn't socialized properly. Same applies to dobies and other breeds, because chihuahuas and poodles can be quite aggressive. I think here is all about looks...
Old 03-15-2018, 03:48 AM   #10
KellyNygard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trellum View Post
This is something I've been wanting to discuss with other dobie lovers! I just wonder why dobies have such a bad reputation? I mean, their reputation isn't as damaged as the pit bull one, but still.

I'm not saying pit bulls are all aggressive, but I often read about people being attacked by them, so I understand that contributes a lot to their bad reputation.

But this also makes me wonder... why the doberman dogs have a bad rep as well? I haven't really read any articles or even seen anything related to dobie attacks on the news! NOTHING! So why do you think dobies have such a bad reputation then? I just can't get it.

I also think that, because Dobermans can have a reputation as ferocious dogs, people who are looking for a breed that will scare people tend to gravitate towards Dobermans, Rottweilers, pit bulls etc. these are often people who tend to have a great deal of fear in their own lives and feel the need for a “bully” dog breed to protect them. Because of their own fearful tendencies, they encourage aggression, or do not have the confidence to properly train a larger breed dog, so the combination of the dogs’ personality and the fearful owners personality just do not work well together. These tend to be the dogs that make the news and give these special breeds of dog a bad reputation.
It really boils down to if you are adopting an animal with a tendency towards a strong personality, you better have the confidence to be the leader of the pack. And the humility to know where to go for help when you don’t know the answers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KellyNygard is offline   Reply With Quote