Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums

Go Back   Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums > Doberman Specific Chat > Doberman Related Chat

Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
clearsky

Question Are your Doberman's ears cropped?

Lately I've been seeing more Dobermans whose ears haven't been cropped, and also one that still had a long tail. Do you think this is just a fluke, or is there a trend towards leaving ears and tails intact? One of ours has rather heavily cropped, pointed ears, while the other one has ears that are less severely cropped and a little more floppy.

How about your Dobermans - do they all have cropped ears (and tails), or have you kept them natural?
clearsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
Trellum

I don't have a doberman right now, but I had a pair when I was younger. When my parents bought them for me they came with docked tails, the ears weren't cropped tho. They were a female and a male Great dogs. I think they looked so cute with their natural ears
Trellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
Ruth B.

We have had three awesome dobies. The first was cropped because we got her from our vet's dog and he believed in cropping, so we just went along with it. The second, went along with it again, but she bless her heart had awful problems with it, her ears were too thick and never stood up right. And we felt AWFUL for putting her thru that. There simply was NO reason, we were just stupid. With the third, we said, NO no no no, it's cruel and just plain not necessary. So glad dogs don't say oh, human, that arm is in the way, I don't like how it looks, let's cut it off.

So our sweet big man X'adore remained beautifully floppy ears, yay!

Now, the tails, they were all cropped, since those were done as a puppy on all of them, we had no choice.

I just got here and weighing in on a controversial topic, so nobody boo and hiss me please.

Best wishes everyone.
Ruth B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Trellum

I like bull dogs because they are amazing dogs, they aren't born with a tail... it really suits them! I'd not crop the ears or tail of a dog ever again tho. I heard dogs can still feel pain in that area... ghost limbs I think they call it.

Don't worry, Ruth! Everyone makes mistakes!! I did, but I learnt from them, so cheer up!
Trellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:34 AM   #5
KellyNygard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth B. View Post
We have had three awesome dobies. The first was cropped because we got her from our vet's dog and he believed in cropping, so we just went along with it. The second, went along with it again, but she bless her heart had awful problems with it, her ears were too thick and never stood up right. And we felt AWFUL for putting her thru that. There simply was NO reason, we were just stupid. With the third, we said, NO no no no, it's cruel and just plain not necessary. So glad dogs don't say oh, human, that arm is in the way, I don't like how it looks, let's cut it off.

So our sweet big man X'adore remained beautifully floppy ears, yay!

Now, the tails, they were all cropped, since those were done as a puppy on all of them, we had no choice.

I just got here and weighing in on a controversial topic, so nobody boo and hiss me please.

Best wishes everyone.

We are waiting for our new Doberman puppy, and I asked the same question. So, far, no answers on the forum, but Iíll follow yours.
As far as the tails, I read that they are very easily broken (doors, drawers, etc) and often do not heal properly. We have a neighbor with A Great Dane she got from a rescue without a docked tail. Itís a mess! Theyíve had the Vet amputate small parts numerous time in the past year and it just wonít heal. They have to keep a sock over it at home so that he doesnít leave a gory mess around the house. And, in the summer, he is attacked by flies on his many long walks. Just watching and listening to their experience has made me a believer in docked tails.
The ears, not so much. I read that originally they were cropped because it was easier to another dog to grab the floppy ears in a fight and tear them. This is most likely a weak spot in the guard dog aspect of their background as well.
We previously had a Jack Russell, and her floppy ears posed no health concerns, so we are going to leave our Doberpupís ears intact. I can understand the floppy ears infection concerns more with a long-haired breed. I think that those with these super short coats (like Dobes and JRTs), we should be able to keep up with ear cleaning if necessary.
I also tend to be somewhat lazy when it come to things like caring for daily maintenance of making sure the ears remain posted. I just donít care whether they stand up or flop, so I think the bother is beyond my capabilities.
Besides, the floppy ears look cute, and, being that we live in the city, I think she will appear less threatening to those she meets socially at restaurants, dog training, dog parks and just on walks in the parks.
I have been know to be wrong in the past however...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KellyNygard is offline   Reply With Quote